I Need Legal Advice

IARC provides free immigration legal advice to people who are in New South Wales and are on a low income or who are in immigration detention.

Who we can help

As our advice is free, we can only help people who are not able to pay for legal advice because they are on low or no income or are vulnerable in other ways for example, escaping family violence, having a disability, having a mental incapacity or cognitive problem, or are disadvantaged in other ways.

When you contact us we will ask you a number of questions to see if you are able to access our free legal advice.

IARC can help you if you need advice about:

  • Protection visas and humanitarian visas
  • Family visas or family reunion
  • Partner or spousal visas, carer visas, or child visas
  • Family violence and migration matters
  • Visa cancellations or visa refusals
  • Visitor visas

We cannot help you with:

  • Student visas
  • Withdrawal of sponsorship
  • Retirement visas
  • Skilled and investment visas
  • Migration to countries other than Australia
  • Judicial review

IARC’s legal advice is free and confidential. Interpreter services are available for all IARC appointments.

If you are in New South Wales or are unable to access migration advice in your state or territory and believe you may be eligible for free immigration advice, you can call us on 02 8234 0700  to see if we can assist you. Please note we are unable to assist people outside Australia.

If you need an interpreter please phone TIS National on 131 450 before calling us.

You can also complete our online form and one of our team will call you back.